The Board for Mission Services (BFMS) of The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod seeks nominations for the position of executive director. This person administers the activities of LCMS World Mission according to the Handbook and Bylaws of Synod, the directives of the BFMS and LCMS Board of Directors, and the Board for Mission Services Policy Manual.Responsibilities – In overseeing the overall operations of LCMS World Mission, this person:
- engages in strategic planning, alignment of resources, and managing change.
- supervises the timely preparation, presentation, execution, review, and updating of the goals, objectives, and budget adopted by the Board for Mission Services.
- develops and supervises the lead team and has overall responsibility for the entire staff of LCMS World Mission.
- conducts presentations to individuals and/or groups with a particular emphasis on major gift acquisitions.
- serves as spokesperson for BFMS to entities worldwide, including auxiliaries, Recognized Service Organizations, educational institutions, and partner churches.
Qualifications – The following list suggests characteristics that may be helpful for this role. It is not inclusive, nor should any single item be deemed an absolute requirement.
- Active member of an LCMS congregation, faithful to the Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions, and supportive of the Synod’s Constitution, Bylaws, and policies.
- Rostered, ordained clergy of the LCMS and/or proficient in theology and missiology, understanding of world cultures, cross-cultural ministry, the mission history of the Christian Church, and opportunities for outreach in North America and the world.
- Significant experience as a cross-cultural missionary, demonstrated competence in parish ministry, and in administrative and/or elective office in district or Synod.
- Demonstrated experience and proficiency in effectively and efficiently administrating a large staff, delegating authority, and making decisions.
- Competent in developing budgets and understanding finance/accounting principles.
- Experience in inter-church and church-mission relationships.
- Education beyond the Master of Divinity degree, plus additional post-graduate education, including a Doctor of Missiology, MBA, or its equivalent.
- Gifted public speaker and competence in general fundraising, particularly in seeking major gifts.
Nominations should be submitted by Jan. 31, 2009, to David Fiedler, Interim Director of Human Resources, via regular mail to 1333 S. Kirkwood Road, St. Louis, MO 63122; via e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org, or by fax to 314-996-1121.
Posted Jan. 9, 2009