The 67th Regular Convention of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) will convene in Tampa, Fla., on Saturday, July 20. That same day, the Synod will host a convention servant event from 10 a.m. until noon at the Tampa Convention Center.
Participants in the event, titled “Joy:fully Serving,” will prepare 275 baskets for sharing with mothers and children in need. The baskets will be distributed by:
Redeeming Life Outreach Ministries in Sanford, Fla., which operates a maternity home and transitional living for pregnant women and their children; and
Amigos en Cristo in Immokalee, Fla., which provides social services to its largely migrant and immigrant community, many of whom are in crisis and need assistance to build a solid foundation for a better future.
Redeeming Life Outreach Ministries and Amigos en Cristo are LCMS Recognized Service Organizations.
Baskets will include:
- baby-care items such as diaper cream, thermometers, towels and mittens;
- mom-care items such as nail polish, lotion, manicure sets and umbrellas;
- household items such as kitchen towels, crib sheets, and cooking supplies; and
- spiritual care items such as Bibles, catechisms, devotionals and children’s books.
The event is open to the first 100 registrants. A free box lunch with sandwich, chips, cookie, fruit and either soda or water will be provided by Thrivent Financial.Register to volunteer
Registration information will not be shared but used to prepare name tags, thank participants, alert participants about event details, and accommodate, as possible, any food allergies of participants.
Please send questions to email@example.com.
Sponsors of this event include:
- LCMS National Housing Support Corporation
- Thrivent Financial
- LCMS Foundation
- LCMS Florida–Georgia District
- LCMS Office of National Mission
- Lutheran Federal Credit Union
- Bethesda Lutheran Communities
- Concordia Publishing House
- Harriet Fritz, Redeemer Lutheran Church, Springfield, Mo.
- KFUO Radio
- LCMS International Center Employees
- LCMS Foundation
- Lutheran Church Extension Fund Employees
- Perry Lutheran Home, Perry, Iowa
- Prairie Stix N’ Cotton Strings, Kewanee, Ill.
- TLC Quilters, Trinity Lutheran Church, Algona, Iowa
Barb Below, assistant to the LCMS president and coordinator of the event, said, “As children of God, we live each day in joy knowing we are redeemed by Christ. This joy overflows to our neighbor as we serve those in need.
“As we gather together as a Synod under the theme “Joy:fully Lutheran,” it is a great opportunity to joyfully serve those in the Florida community who need our assistance. The outpouring of sponsors and contributors for this event has been incredible, and I know that convention attendees will enjoy this activity before we get down to the business of convention.”
Find out more at lcms.org/convention/schedule/servant-event.
Posted April 26, 2019