Concordia University, Nebraska (CUNE), Seward, Neb., seeks nominations for the position of president. The president is the chief executive officer of the CUNE Board of Regents and serves as the university’s spiritual, academic and administrative head.
The official functions of the president are described in the 2016 LCMS Handbook (May 2017 edition), section 184.108.40.206. Required qualifications for this position are:
- Active member in good standing of a congregation of the LCMS.
- Preferably, an ordained or commissioned minister.*
- Preferably, an earned doctorate in an academic discipline.
- Broad leadership and administrative experience, preferably in a higher education academic institution.
- Faithful to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions and supportive of the LCMS constitution, bylaws, practices and policies.
- Fulfill the role of Christ-centered ministry leader of the university.
Desired qualifications for this position should include demonstrated expertise and skills in the following critical success factors:
- Exhibits a capacity for executing the vision, mission and values of the institution as well as the strategic planning initiatives.
- Active involvement and engagement in campus and the community.
- Ability to empower and engage the university leadership team.
- Capability to know and engage the student community.
- Ability to understand and enhance the financial integrity of the university.
- Demonstrates good communication and interpersonal skills within and outside the campus.
- Capable of generating institutional advancement resources.
Nominees should satisfy the required and desired qualifications. Nominations submitted for consideration will include information about the nominee and the nominator, including a description of how the individual satisfies the qualifications. Nominations must be made using the nominee information form, which can be accessed at cune.edu/presidential_search (or by contacting Stuart Bartruff by email).
According to the LCMS Handbook, nominations may only be accepted from LCMS congregations, CUNE faculty, the CUNE Board of Regents and the Concordia University System Board of Directors.
Nominations must be received by Jan. 31, 2020. Send to Stuart Bartruff, Board of Regents Chair, 800 N. Columbia Ave., Seward, NE 68434–1500, or by email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
* In 2007, the LCMS Commission on Constitutional Matters (07-2489) stated “the Commission concludes that it continues to be necessary for a university president to be male.”
Posted Nov. 26, 2019