The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) announces an opening for the position of director of Life Ministry, housed at the LCMS International Center in St. Louis.
The LCMS Office of National Mission (ONM) coordinates and supports domestic ministries that serve congregations and schools through the districts of the Synod (Bylaw 18.104.22.168).
- Consult and give input as the subject-matter expert regarding life issues, and work as part of the ONM team to develop resources and ministry aids in accordance with the strategic goals of the ONM and the ends policies of the LCMS Board for National Mission.
- Supervise program development for LCMS Life Ministry as a part of the church’s mercy outreach in conjunction with the church’s work of international and domestic witness.
- Provide leadership for the development, growth and support of life ministry among international partners, districts, congregations, educational institutions and other recognized entities of the LCMS. Leadership of domestic work will be the immediate focus of the new director.
- Develop the public witness and voice of the LCMS regarding the sanctity of human life. This witness should, wherever possible, cooperate with the Lutheran Center for Religious Liberty, Lutherans For Life and other life-focused LCMS Recognized Service Organizations.
- Formulate strategic goals, direct programs and oversee projects that engage and inform the church to influence the public square about issues of human need, ethical awareness and biblical teaching surrounding the sanctity of human life.
- Work cooperatively with other ONM directors in creating resources, especially in areas of programmatic overlap, and maintain and grow competencies as the LCMS Life Ministry subject-matter expert.
- Be a resource for and maintain cooperative dialogue with LCMS district life coordinators and sponsored groups.
- Membership in the LCMS, faithfulness to the Holy Scriptures and the Lutheran Confessions, and support of the Synod’s constitution, bylaws and policies.
- A bachelor’s degree or its equivalent or five years of experience and/or training in the area of life ministry.
- Background and training in the applicable sciences.
- Experience in the areas of communication, including writing, public speaking and working with printed visual media.
- Comprehensive knowledge of sanctity-of-life and public health issues.
- Visionary and proactive leadership in life ministry.
- Ability to self-start and develop a vision for the future.
- Demonstrated ability to coordinate with persons and groups in a variety of related ministries and services in the Synod, in other church bodies and outside the church.
- Ability to function as a member of the Synod’s national and international teams and in supportive relationships with district leaders.
- Ability to clearly and concisely articulate the position of the LCMS regarding sanctity-of-life issues and the Synod’s theology of mercy based upon Holy Scripture and the Lutheran Confessions.
- Understanding of the church’s proper role within the left-hand kingdom and of diverse platforms for public advocacy.
- Keen interest and knowledge regarding current scientific arguments, ethical issues and legislation surrounding sanctity-of-life issues.
Qualified applicants are invited to apply online via lcms.org/careers. Nominations are welcomed and may be submitted to Nathan Thomas at firstname.lastname@example.org. The deadline to apply or submit nominations is Oct. 15. For more information on the LCMS, please visit lcms.org.
Posted Sept. 5, 2019