Tens of thousands of youth and adults from across the country and around the world are expected to descend on New Orleans for the 2016 LCMS Youth Gathering, July 16-20. This is the largest gathering of LCMS youth and adults, hosted by the Synod every three years.
While many will be there, not everyone can attend. Here are some ways to participate in the Gathering from afar:
- lcmsgathering.com — The Gathering website is the one-stop shop for daily recaps and highlights of the event. View the daily photo gallery, watch recap videos, read blog stories and stay current with the event schedule, all at the click of the mouse. Visit lcmsgathering.com/schedule for more information about speakers, performers and themes.
- Live stream — All Gathering events in the Superdome will be livestreamed from the Gathering website (lcmsgathering.com). Dome Events include four evening Mass Events and the Wednesday Divine Service. Mass Events begin at 8:30 p.m. (Central Time) on Saturday, Sunday, Monday and Tuesday nights. Divine Service takes place on Wednesday at 9:30 a.m. Why not host viewing parties at your congregation or home for family, friends and community members to watch together?
- Gathering app — Download the LCMS Youth Gathering app from the iTunes or Google Play store by searching “LCMS Youth Gathering.” Partake in the daily devotions, review speakers and session descriptions, check out the exhibitors and learn more about their ministries. Daily devotions will be pushed through the app from July 15 through Aug. 31, thanks to a partnership with Concordia Publishing House. These devotions are written by Gathering planners, speakers, volunteers and high school youth.
- Bible studies — Consider hosting a Bible study around the Gathering’s theme, “In Christ Alone,” and the book of Philippians. Several Bible studies (including leader guides) are available at lcmsgathering.com/biblestudy.
- Prayer — Even if you are not at the Gathering or able to connect to one of the resources listed above, those attending the Gathering covet your prayers. Please use the July “Pray For Us” calendar at lcms.org/prayforus to pray for those attending and serving at the Gathering.
- #NYG2016 — Follow the Gathering story as it develops on social media through the official event hashtag.
Various aspects of the Gathering may be engaged via the following other social-media offerings:
- Facebook (facebook.com/LCMSYG/),
- Twitter (@lcmsnyg),
- Instagram (@lcmsnyg),
- Snapchat (lcmsnyg) and
- #thisisMYchurch — The LCMS is using #thisisMYchurch as a way to celebrate the various aspects of our church body. Family, friends and congregation members are encouraged to post an encouraging note July 16 in support of their group as youth enter the Superdome for the opening Mass Event, using this hashtag. Include “#thisisMYchurch” when submitting prayers or well-wishes through Twitter, Instagram or Facebook. Messages will be shown on the ribbon boards throughout the dome.
Posted July 7, 2016