For Immediate Release
Contact: Vicki Biggs
Director, Integrated Communications
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
- Rev. Dr. Matthew C. Harrison: http://www.lcms.org/view.image?Id=1349
- Rev. Dr. Herbert C. Mueller Jr.: http://www.lcms.org/view.image?Id=1360
- Rev. Dr. David P.E. Maier: http://www.lcms.org/image/Maier.jpg
Three candidates on ballot for Missouri Synod president
Voting takes place in June
ST. LOUIS, April 16, 2013—The names of three men will appear on the ballot for Synod president during voting to be conducted this June in advance of the 65th Regular Convention of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod, held in July.
In order of nominations received, the candidates are:
- Rev. Dr. Matthew C. Harrison, incumbent LCMS president, 1,111 nominations
- Rev. Dr. Herbert C. Mueller Jr., LCMS first vice-president, 140 nominations
- Rev. Dr. David P.E. Maier, president of the LCMS Michigan District, 126 nominations
To read their bios, click here: www.lcms.org/convention/nominees
Election of the Synod president will take place electronically (via the Internet only) during a four-day period — June 22–25 — by each LCMS congregation/parish’s two voting delegates to its 2012 district convention.
If no candidate receives a majority of votes, the candidate with the least number of votes will be dropped from the ballot and a second vote will be taken one week later. No other nominations will be accepted.
Two weeks before the start of the convention — on July 6 — the Synod secretary will share the results of the election first with the candidates, and afterward, with the public. The candidate receiving the majority of votes will become president-elect of the Synod.
For more about the system for electing president, read: https://blogs.lcms.org/2013/new-system-for-electing-president
About The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod
The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod (LCMS) is a biblical, confessional, witness-oriented Christian denomination with 2.3 million members in 6,200 congregations. Through acts of witness and mercy, the church carries out its mission worldwide to make known the love of Jesus Christ. Learn more at www.lcms.org.