The 2014 national conference of the Association of Lutheran Mission Agencies, or ALMA, is planned for Jan. 30-31 in St. Louis under the theme “You will be Witnesses,” from Acts 1:8.
The annual conference — designed for representatives of ALMA member organizations and anyone with an interest in missions — offers presentations on domestic and international mission work, workshops on mission-related topics, Bible study and opportunities to learn about — and network with — a variety of LCMS groups involved in mission work worldwide.
Keynote speaker will be the Rev. Dr. Jack Preus, executive vice-president for Mission Advancement at Bethesda Lutheran Communities, Watertown, Wis. Preus will address the topic “You Will Be My Witness — To the Ends of the Earth: A New Model for Mission Partnership.”
Other speakers include:
- author and historian Rev. Dr. Paul Maier, former LCMS vice-president and Emeritus Russell H. Seibert Professor of Ancient History at Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, Mich.
- Dr. Michael Rodewald, regional director for Africa with the LCMS Office of International Mission, who will explore “Barriers to the Gospel.”
- Dawn Miller, director of Consulting, Fund Development Services, Zielinski Companies, St. Louis, “The Power of a Case for Support.”
- Len Pranschke, a lawyer with Spencer Fane Britt & Browne, St. Louis, “Legal Issues for Nonprofit Organizations.”
- Cynthia Khan, director for Women and Youth Ministries with People of the Book Lutheran Outreach, Dearborn Heights, Mich., “Responding and Witnessing to Muslims.”
- Kay L. Meyer, founder and president of Family Shield Ministries, St. Louis, “Pray and Witness.”
- Rev. Dr. Alan Scott, executive director of Lutheran Multicultural Mission, Indianapolis, “Healing the Wounds of Trauma.”
- Rev. Dr. James Tino, founder and director of Global Lutheran Outreach, Miramar, Fla.
The Rev. Dr. Douglas Rutt, director of International Ministries with Lutheran Hour Ministries, St. Louis, will lead the conference Bible study.
Registration is $100 for ALMA members, or $150 for non-members, and includes meals. The conference begins at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday, Jan. 30, and ends at 9:15 p.m. the following day.
Lodging is available for $69 per night at the conference site, the Crowne Plaza St. Louis Airport Hotel. Please call the hotel at 314-291-6700 by Dec. 27 to make a reservation.
The Association of Lutheran Mission Agencies is dedicated to linking and equipping Lutheran mission agencies, congregations and individuals for sharing and demonstrating the Gospel of Jesus Christ. Its membership is open to any Lutheran mission agency, society, congregation or individual anywhere in the world.
For more information about ALMA and its annual conferences (including online registration), visit almanetwork.org or call 314-780-3553.