by Katie Schuermann
ST. LOUIS (July 23, 2013) — Third Vice-President Rev. Daniel Preus invited former officers of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod and special guests visiting from other church bodies onto the convention dais for recognition this afternoon.
The following former officers of the Synod were recognized:
- Rev. Dr. Dean Nadasdy served the Synod as third and fourth vice-president from 2004 to 2010.
- Dr. Norman Sell served the Synod as treasurer from 1974 to 2001.
- Rev. Dr. Dale Meyer and Rev. Dr. William Diekelman also were recognized but were not in attendance.
“We would like to thank these men,” Preus said, “for their dedicated service over many years to our Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod. You dedicated yourselves, your talents, your time, your abilities. Thank you very much on behalf of The Lutheran Church—Missouri Synod.”
The following leaders from visiting church bodies were recognized:
- Rev. Peter Prange of the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod.
- Rev. Dr. Lawrence Welch of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of St. Louis.
- Rev. David Wendel of the North American Lutheran Church.
“We pray for God’s blessing on you and ask that He would give you faithfulness and wisdom in your service,” Preus said to the visiting church leaders.
The following leaders from international Lutheran church bodies also were recognized:
- Rev. Dr. Robert Bugbee of Lutheran Church—Canada.
- Rev. Gennadij Khonin of the Evangelical Lutheran Congregation “People of God.”
- Rev. Amos Bolay, Rev. Samuel S.Y. Navoh and Rev. James Kollie of the Lutheran Church in Liberia.
- Archbishop Christian Ekong of the Lutheran Church of Nigeria.
- Rev. Alexey Streltsov (not present) and Bishop Vsevolod Lytkin of the Siberian Evangelical Lutheran Church.
“Brothers,” Preus said to the visiting Lutheran church leaders from around the world, “we thank God for our partnership in the Gospel and for the Christian fellowship the Holy Spirit has given us. May God bless all of you with continued faithfulness and wisdom as you carry out your service.”
Former presidents of the Synod will be recognized on Wednesday, July 24.
The 65th Regular Convention of the LCMS is meeting July 20-25 at the America’s Center Convention Complex under the theme “Baptized for This Moment.” Among convention participants are some 1,200 clergy and lay voting delegates.