by Kim Plummer Krull
Many Lutheran partners are working cooperatively with LCMS World Relief and Human Care (LCMS WR-HC), LCMS World Mission, and the Evangelical Lutheran Church of Haiti on the earthquake response in Haiti. They include but are not limited to the following:
- MISSION: Haiti, operating through the LCMS Florida-Georgia District (www.flga-lcms.org).
- Orphan Grain Train (www.ogt.org).
- Lutheran Church Charities (www.lutheranchurchcharities.org)
- Trinity/HOPE (www.trinityhope.org) which received a $25,000 grant from LCMS WR-HC for a feeding program for school children in various ELCH districts.
- Haiti Lutheran Mission Society, Canada
- Haiti Theological Education
- Haiti Lutheran Mission and Ministry Society
Among the LCMS partners working cooperatively to assist Haitians living in the United States are the following:
- Lutheran Services in Florida (www.lsfnet.org), which received a $25,000 grant from LCMS WR-HC to assist Haitians entering the United States at the Orlando and Tampa airports, assisting them with paperwork and access to basic needs such as water, food, and medical attention.
- Lutheran Services of Georgia (www.lsaga.org), which is starting a ministry to assist Haitians coming to that state with a variety of needs, including connecting them to community and congregational resources. Plans are in the works for LCMS WR-HC to award the Recognized Service Organization a $10,400 grant to help staff the new Haitian disaster ministry.
About The Author: Kim Plummer Krull is an editor-at-large for The Lutheran Witness and a member of St. Paul’s Lutheran Church, Des Peres, Mo.