Concordia Historical Institute (CHI) has announced that it is giving Awards of Commendation for 17 works published in 2008.
The awards for unique contributions to Lutheran literature or for personal service in the field of Lutheran archival and historical work will be presented at CHI’s 34th Annual Awards Banquet Nov. 12 on the campus of Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.
With offices, archives, and temporary historical displays in its building on the seminary campus, CHI is the Synod’s Department of Archives and History. CHI’s new museum is located at the Synod’s International Center in suburban St. Louis (Kirkwood). The institute also operates the Saxon Lutheran Memorial in Perry County, Mo.
By category, the honorees for work in 2008 are:
- Major Publications — The Good Shepherd Institute: Pastoral Theology and Sacred Music for the Church of Fort Wayne, Ind., for Celebrating the Life and Hymns of Paul Gerhardt and Martin Franzmann.
- District or Regional Histories — Rev. William R. Wangelin of Hudsonville, Mich., for The History of the Free Evangelical Lutheran Synod in South Africa and Its Relationship with The Lutheran Church-Missouri Synod.
- Congregational Histories — Jean A. Bohnhoff of Plymouth, Wis., for Led by God’s Grace: A History of St. John’s Lutheran Church, Celebrating 150 Years (1858-2008); Rev. Craig A. Ferkenstad and Norseland Lutheran Church of St. Peter, Minn., for Jesus Christ the Same Yesterday, Today, and Forever; Susan Lee Guckenberg of Richmond, Va., for A Congregational History, 1852-2008; Steven G. Mariano of Basehor, Kan., for The History of St. Martin’s Evangelical Lutheran Church of Basehor, Kansas: The First 100 Years, 1908-2008; Trinity Lutheran Church of Friedheim, Mo., for Celebrating the 160th Anniversary of Trinity Lutheran Church; Carol Twardzik of Spyhill, Saskatchewan, Canada, for Proclaiming His Faithfulness (1907-2007), for Christ Lutheran Church, Langenburg, Saskatchewan.
- Journal Articles — Gary Lee Beard of Bellevue, Wash., for “Georg Landgraf: A Pioneer Nineteenth Century Midwestern Lutheran Pastor: Parts One and Two,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 80, No. 4 and Vol. 81, No. 1; Dr. Walter H. Conser Jr. of Wilmington, N.C., for “Wilhelm Lohe and the Revolution of 1848,” Logia, Holy Trinity 2008, Vol. XVII, No. 3; Dr. Scott J. Meyer of St. Louis, for “Missouri Synod Lutherans Active in Founding the Creation Research Society,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 4; Dr. Martin R. Noland of Evansville, Ind., for “A Tale of Two Seminaries,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 2; Dr. Jerrald K. Pfabe of Seward, Neb., for “Was It Foretold?: Theodore Graebner, Millennialists, and the World Wars,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 2; Rev. David J. Plocher of Waterloo, Wis., for “Apache Lutheran Mission Beginnings from the Letters of John Plocher,” WELS Historical Institute Journal, Vol. 26, No. 1; Rev. Jon D. Vieker of St. Louis, for “What a Friend We Have in Jesus,” Logia, Eastertide 2008, Vol., XVII, No. 2; Rev. William R. Wangerlin of Hudsonville, Mich., for “A New Find Sheds Light on an Old Debate: Lohe’s Thoughts on the Missouri Synod’s Constitution of 1847,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 3; and Rev. William R. Wangerlin of Hudsonville, Mich., for “Friedrich Lasius and His Efforts for Confessional Lutheranism,” Concordia Historical Institute Quarterly, Vol. 81, No. 2.
The institute is currently accepting nominations for recognition at next year’s awards ceremony. To download an awards nomination form, visit CHI’s Web site at http://chi.lcms.org.
Posted Oct. 21, 2009