Last month the Synod’s Board for University Education mailed to all LCMS congregations a brochure promoting “Concordia Sunday,” suggested for April 29.
The special observance, which may be held that day or any Sunday of the year, is designed to call attention to the Synod’s two seminaries and 10 Concordia University System (CUS) schools, their programs of study, and the various professional church careers that are available to students.
The special Sunday offers an opportunity for congregations to recognize and support the work being carried out by professors, staff, and students at those institutions.
“It’s appropriate that our church designate a special Sunday each year to celebrate the important work our Concordias do to prepare professional workers and dedicated laypeople for service to the church and society,” said Dr. Kurt Krueger, executive director of the Board for University Education.
“Concordia Sunday celebrations also acknowledge the effective work of all church workers and encourage our young people to consider full-time professional service in The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod.”
The two LCMS seminaries are located in St. Louis and Fort Wayne, Ind.
The Synod’s CUS schools are in Ann Arbor, Mich.; Austin, Texas; Bronxville, N.Y.; Irvine, Calif.; Mequon, Wis.; Portland, Ore.; River Forest, Ill.; St. Paul, Minn.; Selma, Ala.; and Seward, Neb.
The brochure mailed to congregations includes ideas for celebrating “Concordia Sunday,” such as:
- creating a photo display of the congregation’s current Concordia students, and asking worshipers to add students to their prayer lists.
- inviting a current student, parent of a student, alumnus, or college faculty member to speak during Bible study or address a youth group.
- designating offerings to the CUS, a nearby LCMS college or seminary, or your congregation’s church-worker fund.
The brochure also includes a form congregations can use to order free resource materials to help them celebrate “Concordia Sunday.”
Those materials include:
- a bulletin insert, with information about the Synod’s Concordia University System and the “For the Sake of the Church” endowment campaign. Inside is an offering envelope for those who would like to contribute to “For the Sake of the Church,” which has two goals — doubling CUS enrollment, and creating a $400 million endowment to provide aid to CUS students.
- a prayer for university education.
- brief announcements for worship folders and newsletters.
- a list of majors and programs offered by CUS schools.
- a CUS map.
- “Paying for College,” tips on making college affordable.
- Concordia Chronicle, a CUS news publication.
- career resources, such as descriptions of church vocations, ideas for recruiting church-work students, and the “What A Way” DVD for youth.
- seminary brochures.
Many of the resource materials may be downloaded from the Web site www.lcms.org/universities (click on “Downloads” at left).
For more information about “Concordia Sunday” or the Synod’s colleges, universities, and seminaries, call (800) 248-1930, Ext. 1252, or send an e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Posted Feb. 16, 2007