November is “National Adoption Month,” according to Lutherans For Life (LFL), and the pro-life, pro-family ministry is offering a number of resources designed to help congregations call attention to both sides of adoption — those who give up their babies for adoption, and those who adopt.
“There is no such thing as an unwanted child — only unfound parents,” said LFL Executive Director James I. Lamb, quoting former LFL President Jean Garton.
“From the perspective of a birth-mom, adoption exemplifies the sacrificial love to which Christ calls His people,” Lamb said. “Making an adoption plan for a child takes courage and expresses a love that is willing to sacrifice to do what is best for the child.
“Far from abandonment, placing a child in the arms of an adopting couple binds mother and child with a love that neither distance nor time could ever remove.
“From the perspective of an adopting couple, adoption provides a gift from God. God brings the ‘wanting’ of the couple and the ‘wantedness’ of the child together.”
Among adoption resources available from LFL are:
- Adoption: Finding a Family for a Child (25 cents, item no. 503B), by Wanda L. Pritzel, explores adoption options such as adopting an older child, adopting internationally, adopting an infant, and adopting an embryo.
- The Adoption Option ($1, item no. 500B), by Dr. Jean Garton, explains why adoption is more “child-centered” than abortion or single-parenting, calling it “a healthy, realistic, and sensible choice for all the parties involved.”
- The Servanthood of Adoption (25 cents, item no. 501T) counters the notion that adoption is “abandonment” by addressing it “in the light of biblical servanthood.”
- Welcome a Little Child (7 cents, item no. 500BI) is a bulletin insert that encourages adoption as a choice that benefits both mother and child.
- Life Studies, Volume One ($10, item no. 1620BS), is a collection of some of LFL’s classic Bible studies, updated in a reproducible format. Topics addressed include, adoption, abortion, post-abortion healing, end-of-life issues, family living, and “for-life” witnessing.
To order any of the above resources, contact LFL toll-free at (888) 364-LIFE (5433) or email@example.com. To order online, go to www.lutheransforlife.org and click “Catalog” at left. Prices quoted do not include shipping charges.
Posted Nov. 12, 2007