New bulletin inserts, a Bible study, sermons, devotions and a children’s message are available from Lutherans For Life (LFL) to help congregations observe “Life Sunday” — set for Jan. 20, 2008 — although the material is suitable for use at any time during the year.
“In the Hand of God” is the theme for the 2008 Life Sunday observance — the same theme as for LFL’s 2007 national conference this past summer.
Life Sunday is set to coincide with the anniversary observance of the U.S. Supreme Court’s Jan. 23, 1973, decision that legalized abortion.
“The Scriptures talk about God’s hands being involved in our lives over 300 times,” LFL Executive Director Dr. Jim Lamb notes in a cover letter with a sample mailing of the 2008 Life Sunday materials that LFL sent to congregations, LFL state federations and chapters, and other “friends of life.”
Lamb points out in the letter that the materials “focus upon those hands and our Trinitarian theology. … I pray that the 2008 Life Sunday materials will help our congregations apply our Trinitarian theology to the lives of God’s people facing difficult issues.”
LFL is a pan-Lutheran organization based in Nevada, Iowa.
The organization’s new Life Sunday materials include five sermons around the theme and an updated “memorial service,” the Bible study, children’s message, and worship services — all available on a CD ($5, item number 1817CD). The sermons are offered only on the CD, but each of the other items also may be ordered separately.
Two of the sermons — titled “God in Hand or in God’s Hand?” (based on Job 12:4-10) and “Why a Womb?” (Is. 49:1-6 – for the Second Sunday after the Epiphany) — are by Lamb.
The three other sermons are:
- “Jesus’ Big Hands of Blessing” (Matt. 18:13-15), by Dr. Glenn Nielsen, a member of the faculty at Concordia Seminary, St. Louis.
- “In the Hand of God” (Job 12:10), by Dr. Arthur Just of the Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne, Ind., faculty.
- “All Life is in God’s Hand” (Job 12:10), by Rev. Thomas Aadland, former presiding pastor of The American Association of Lutheran Churches.
The new items for 2008 that may be ordered separately are:
- “In the Hand of God” bulletin insert (7 cents each, item no. 1604BI).
- “Just for Kids XV” bulletin insert (7 cents each, item no. 715BI)
- “In the Hand of God — A Foundational For Life Bible Study” by Lamb (50 cents, item no. 1604BS).
- “In the Hands of God” devotional booklet, also by Lamb ($1, item no. 1604).
- “In the Hand of God” worship service format (15 cents, item no. 1820).
- “God’s Handiwork” children’s message (50 cents, item no. 1827).
- The updated “Memorial Service for the Pre-born Killed Since 1973” (30 cents, item no. 1830).
Also available are a number of Life Sunday materials produced and offered by LFL in years past.
For more information, to request a 2008 Life Sunday materials order form, or to order resources, call LFL toll-free at (888) 364-LIFE (5433); e-mail email@example.com; or visit LFL’s Web site at www.lutheransforlife.org.
Posted Oct. 23, 2007