The Association of Lutheran Older Adults (ALOA) is sponsoring five upcoming Lutherhostels.
Designed for older adults, ALOA’s four- to six-day Lutherhostels “foster opportunities for intellectual, social, and spiritual growth” and offer a “unique educational adventure … presented from the Lutheran tradition,” according to an ALOA news release.
A typical day begins and ends with devotions, offers a Bible study, and includes various one-hour presentations — many incorporating the “local flavor” of the area.
Upcoming Lutherhostels will take place:
- June 2-5 at Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon, with Dr. John Saleska, director of the Concordia Bible Institute there, and Dr. Dan Paavola, associate professor of theology at the university.
- July 9-13 at Valparaiso University, Valparaiso, Ind., with Dr. E. Louise Williams, director of the Lutheran Deaconess Association, and Dr. Walter Keller, retired chair of the university’s Theology Department.
- July 18-22 at Gustavus Adolphus College, St. Peter, Minn., in conjunction with its Lutheran Summer Music (LSM) program. Presenters will be Dr. Ralph Schultz, president emeritus of Concordia University, Bronxville, N.Y., and Carolyn Heider, LSM board member and vicar at Trinity Lutheran Church, Valparaiso, Ind.
- Sept. 23-28 at the Heartwood Conference Center and Resort in Trego, Wis., in conjunction with Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. Presenters will be Dr. Charles Mueller Sr., a past president of the LCMS Southeastern District and current staff associate of Wheat Ridge Ministries, Itasca, Ill., and Rev. Ted Schroeder, former director for Christian education with the Evangelical Lutheran Church in America.
- Oct. 21-26 at Lutheran Coastal Retreat Center on Isle of Palms (Charleston), S.C., with Rev. Bob Zimmer, past president of Wheat Ridge Ministries and ALOA, and Dr. Carl Schalk, distinguished professor of church music emeritus at Concordia University Chicago.
Registration varies according to site and ranges from $435 to $570 — covering all costs for full-time participants — or from $290 to $435 for commuters who do not require lodging.
For more information, contact Walt Schmidt at firstname.lastname@example.org or call the ALOA office at (800) 930-ALOA (2562).
Posted April 27, 2007