Delegates to the Indiana District convention re-elected President Daniel P. May to his second term. May, 63, was elected on the first ballot.
The convention was held June 22-23 in Fort Wayne, Ind., under the theme “Rejoicing in the Hope,” from Rom. 5:1-2.
Also elected were:
- Rev. David Mommens, Columbia City, Ind., first vice president.
- Rev. John Fiene, Zionsville, Ind., second vice president.
- Rev. Martin Keller, Evansville, Ind., third vice president.
- Rev. Roger Rohde, Bremen, Ind., fourth vice president.
May and the other officers were installed during the convention.
Delegates voted to:
- encourage 10 or more district congregations to establish new worship sites or plant “daughter” congregations within the next triennium.
- work to overturn a U.S. federal court ruling for the Southern District of Indiana that forbids opening prayers during sessions of the Indiana House of Representatives.
- encourage all district congregations to train members to “share the Gospel in word and deed” and to view that witnessing as “a central activity of their life as a Christian.”
- ask district congregations to “give serious and prayerful consideration to the adoption of the Lutheran Service Book.”
- encourage all district congregations to establish a “Child Protection Policy” to protect children from abusive situations and to protect church workers from false accusations.
Posted June 29, 2006