Hong Kong International School (HKIS) is a Christian school within an international setting and sensitive to its culturally diverse community of more than 40 nationalities represented among over 2,600 students. Founded and owned by The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod, HKIS is now inviting applications for the following positions for the 2006-07 school year:
Lower Primary (Reception One or Pre-kindergarten (age 4), Reception Two or Kindergarten (age 5), Grade 1 (age 6) and Grade 2 (age 7):
- Early Childhood and Primary Grades Teachers
- Gifted and Talented Teacher
- Guidance Counselor Upper Primary (Grades 3-5, ages 8-10)
- Classroom Teachers (includes Grade 3-4 combination teacher)
- ESOL/Literacy Specialist
- Science Coordinator/Math Facilitator (part-time); contract January-June 2006, which may be extended to next school year.
Middle School (Grades 6-8, ages 11-14):
- Math Teacher-Grade 7
- Language Arts Teacher — Grade 8
- ESOL/Literacy Specialist
- Learning Specialist (January 2006-August 2008); High School (Grades 9-12, ages 15-18)
- Science Teachers (General Science, Biology, Chemistry)
- Computer/Video Teacher (tentative)
- ESOL/Literacy Specialist x 2 openings
Associate Teacher (Intern) Positions — High School:
- Principal — High School
- Director of Curriculum — Lower Primary and Upper Primary
- Director of Curriculum — Middle School and High School
- Mandarin Program Administrator-Schoolwide
Teacher and Administrator:
- bachelor’s degree in relevant subject area (master’s degree preferable) and teaching/administrative qualifications;
- minimum two years experience in the area applying for and at the relevant grade level;
- international school experience preferred.
- strong academic background with relevant bachelor’s degree;
- experience working with young people as tutor, counselor, coach or other capacity;
- interested in pursuing a teacher career and working in Asia.
For more information, requirements, and to apply, visit www.hkis.edu.hk. Submit an online job application under the employment section. Only short-listed candidates will be notified.
Concordia University, Irvine, Calif., invites inquiries, nominations and applications for the position of provost. The university seeks an individual who has the personal and intellectual qualities to lead the institution academically to the next level of national prominence for Christian liberal arts universities.
The provost reports directly to the president, serves as the chief academic officer of the university, and has the authority and responsibility for advancing the academic quality and stature of the university. The provost is responsible for overall leadership of the institution in the president’s absence.
- provides leadership in and management of the academic organization, including recruitment and supervision of deans and directors;
- personally exemplifies the university’s vision of faithful and excellent academic leadership;
- serves as chief communicator and facilitator for educational effectiveness;
- serves as a member of the Executive Council, Administrative Council, Academic Council, and advisory member of other committees as necessary and appropriate;
- collaborates with the deans to present student learning evidence, environmental scan information, market studies, and other data as the basis for the academic needs presented in strategic and budgetary planning for the improvement of Concordia’s educational effectiveness;
- coordinates collaborative efforts in academic planning, faculty recruitment and ongoing faculty development;
- plans for sufficient faculty growth in numbers and expertise to meet campus academic strategies;
- recruits qualified full-time faculty members who must be members of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod;
- maintains sensitivity to the faculty viewpoint and seeks appropriate means for addressing faculty concerns;
- oversees the assessment of academic programs and builds and nurtures a culture of evidence;
- develops, allocates, and manages the academic budget of the university and takes leadership in providing greater facility and transparency in budget development and management on the part of all faculty budget officers;
- advises the president on all academic affairs, is a key partner with the president, represents the president to the campus in his absence, and works collegially with faculty, senior staff and others in the spirit of shared governance.
Concordia University seeks a provost with excellent academic and professional credentials, who is a builder of people and programs, and who:
- is a person of unquestioned integrity and ethics;
- is a member of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod;
- has at least five years of demonstrated academic leadership and administrative experience with a record of achievement as provost, associate provost, dean, and/or other leadership areas;
- possesses a collaborative management style as a servant leader;
- is committed to increasing the diversity of the faculty;
- demonstrates a strong record of leadership with the ability to think strategically, prioritize effectively and act decisively;
- shows the ability to initiate and manage constructive change;
- is experienced in fiscal and personnel management at a high level;
- has an earned doctorate or terminal degree and credentials to merit tenure as an associate or full professor in an academic discipline offered by the university;
- demonstrates excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- is committed to holistic learning and continued growth of diverse students.
Send nominations or application material