January has been designated “Mission Month” by the Synod’s Board of Directors, and in an effort to help congregations focus on mission, LCMS World Mission has produced a new DVD of resources.
The DVD is titled “Ablaze! — Crossing the Jordan.” Mailed to all LCMS congregations in October, the DVD includes “all the resources you need to participate in Mission Month 2006 and the worldwide vision of Ablaze!,” according to LCMS World Mission.
The DVD includes a video presentation divided into segments — one for each Sunday in January. Or, congregations can designate a single Sunday — Jan. 22 or an alternate date — to focus on worldwide mission and Ablaze!
Ablaze! is LCMS World Mission’s initiative to share the Gospel with 100 million people worldwide by 2017, the 500th anniversary of the Reformation. Endorsed by the 2004 LCMS national convention, Ablaze! also has been adopted by the Synod’s partner churches in other countries.
“It is appropriate that Mission Month happens during the Epiphany season,” Executive Director Robert Roegner tells subscribers in a Dec. 12 story in “Mission News,” an e-mail news service from LCMS World Mission. “Your celebration of Mission Month can help your people bring kindling to the fire that is Ablaze! around the world in the LCMS and in our 29 partner churches — sources of true Light for so many who live in sin’s darkness all over the world.”
Among the resources available on the new DVD are:
- daily and family devotions, small-group materials, and a training manual for “50 Days Ablaze!” — a “journey” that’s designed to help members of LCMS congregations “grow spiritually in their awareness and understanding of Christ’s Great Commission.”
- “Web reporting tutorials” that explain how to submit individual and “registered partner organization” reports to the Ablaze! Web site. The site was created to share witnessing experiences and to track progress toward the goal of reaching 100 million people with the Gospel. As this Reporter went to press, 1,532,839 witnessing events had been reported on the Web site.
- music and lyrics to the songs, “Ablaze” and “Set Us Ablaze.”
- information about the online “Ablaze! Resource Exchange,” where items such as T-shirts, wristbands, banners, and devotional materials developed by individuals and groups can be listed and ordered.
- an Ablaze! worship service, with suggested readings, prayers, and hymns.
- online links to resources and evangelism materials offered by the Center for U.S. Missions in Irvine, Calif.
- an Ablaze! brochure, in PDF format, that explains the initiative.
- two LCMS World Mission catalogs, in PDF format, on children’s mission involvement and mission education.
For more information about Ablaze! or to request a free “Ablaze! — Crossing the Jordan” DVD, call LCMS World Mission at (800) 433-3954 or visit the Web site.
Posted Dec. 29, 2005