Concordia University, Ann Arbor, Mich., seeks nominations for the position of president. The president is the chief executive officer of the university’s Board of Regents and serves as the university’s spiritual, administrative, and academic head. The official functions of the office of the president are set forth in Section 6.12 of the Synodical Handbook 2001.
The following qualifications are sought in the person called to this office. The president should:
- Demonstrate strong communication skills that enable him to effectively report and represent the university’s position, convey a clear and engaging vision, and inspire internal and external constituencies.
- Relate with students, staff and faculty in a caring, personal manner that nurtures Christian faith, intellectual growth, and community spirit.
- Place high value on academics and recruitment and retention of high quality faculty.
- Select and employ quality administrators and staff to manage institutional operations.
- Expand and develop the university’s funding resources and potential.
- Have sound experience in financial matters, business, administration and higher education.
- Demonstrate servant leadership that is visionary, creative, and team-building.
- Possess high personal and workplace integrity and administrative courage.
- Be well known and respected among the pastors and congregations of the Michigan, Ohio and Indiana Districts of The Lutheran Church–Missouri Synod (LCMS).
Nominees must be members of LCMS congregations and be faithful to the Scriptures as the inspired and inerrant Word of God and to the doctrinal positions of the LCMS. They must possess an advanced academic degree and be committed to Lutheran Christian higher education.
According to the Handbook of the Synod, nominations may only be accepted from LCMS congregations, the faculty of Concordia University–Ann Arbor, the Board of Regents of Concordia University–Ann Arbor, and the Synodical Board for University Education.
Nominations must be submitted (postmarked) in writing on paper by May 31. Send nominations to the Board of Regent’s designee, Rev. Ronald H. Guettler, Presidential Search Committee, Concordia University, 4090 Geddes Road, Ann Arbor, MI 48105.
Posted May 18, 2005