Want to make sure your congregation and community hear about your vacation Bible school?
Here are five tips for effective VBS publicity from Concordia Publishing House, St. Louis:
- Encourage open invitations — provide fliers to your congregation’s children and ask them to invite their friends.
- Post signs — especially on the outside of your building, to let the community know. (An outdoor banner is available from CPH.)
- Mail invitations — send a personal VBS invitation to each child in your congregation and on your “prospect list” a few weeks before school lets out for the summer.
- Set up an information table — staff it with friendly volunteers who will greet families and take VBS registrations in the church lobby after worship services. Serve a snack or hand out small gifts, such as stickers or pencils, to children who register.
- Use the telephone — a few weeks before the event, call parents in the congregation who haven’t yet registered their children.
CPH offers a number of VBS resources, including “Construction INC (In the Name of Christ),” a new VBS kit for 2004. For more information, or to order, visit the CPH Web site at www.cph.org or call (800) 325-3040.
Posted March 26, 2004