LCMS Secretary Raymond Hartwig March 26 announced the names of the 20 ordained ministers who will be on the ballot at this summer’s Synod convention for election as second through fifth vice president of the Synod.
This year’s convention will be the first in which the second through fifth vice presidents were nominated by the Synod’s congregations — each congregation was allowed to nominate up to four men for the four positions — rather than by the convention itself. The change in procedure was made by the 2001 convention.
The ballot for vice president two through five will comprise the names of those with the most nominations and who also have agreed to allow their names to be on the ballot. Other nominations may be made from the floor at the convention.
The candidates for second through fifth vice president are, in alphabetical order:
- Dr. David L. Adams, associate professor of exegetical theology, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis;
- Rev. Victor J. Belton, pastor, Peace Lutheran Church, Decatur, Ga.;
- Dr. David D. Buegler, chief administrator, Cleveland Lutheran High School Association, Lakewood, Ohio;
- Dr. Ronald R. Feuerhahn, associate professor of historical theology, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis;
- Dr. Albert L. Garcia, director of lay ministry, Concordia University Wisconsin, Mequon;
- Dr. Jeffrey A. Gibbs, associate professor of exegetical theology, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis;
- Rev. Vernon D. Gundermann, pastor, Concordia Lutheran Church, Kirkwood, Mo.;
- Dr. Robert H. King, Jefferson City, Mo., incumbent Synod third vice president;
- Dr. Paul L. Maier, professor of ancient history, Western Michigan University, Kalamazoo, and incumbent Synod fourth vice president;
- Dr. Kurt E. Marquart, associate professor of systematic theology, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne;
- Dr. Dale A. Meyer, professor of practical theology, Concordia Seminary, St. Louis;
- Dr. Dean W. Nadasdy, pastor, Woodbury Lutheran Church, Woodbury, Minn.;
- Dr. Jacob A.O. Preus, president, Concordia University, Irvine, Calif.;
- Dr. Lawrence R. Rast Jr., associate professor of historical theology, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne;
- Dr. Wallace R. Schulz, Ellisville, Mo., incumbent Synod second vice president and evangelist, Lutheran Heritage Foundation;
- Dr. Harold L. Senkbeil, associate professor of pastoral ministry and missions, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne;
- Dr. William C. Weinrich, incumbent Synod fifth vice president and professor of historical theology, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne;
- Dr. Dean O. Wenthe, president, Concordia Theological Seminary, Fort Wayne;
- Dr. Laurence L. White, pastor, Our Savior Lutheran Church, Houston, Texas;
- Dr. Thomas R. Zehnder, Williamsburg, Va.
Hartwig did not release the number of nominations each nominee received. That information will be included in the 2004 Convention Workbook, however, which is to be mailed to delegates, rostered church workers and others by the end of April.
Posted March 26, 2004