The Concordia Seminary (St. Louis) Chorus, under the direction of Rev. Henry V. Gerike, will present choral music for the season of Advent at congregations in St. Louis and Illinois during its 2009 Advent Tour.
The Concordia Seminary Chorus is composed of about 60 seminarians who commit to balancing full course loads with weekly rehearsals and special tour rehearsals.
Most of the tour presentations will include an expanded choral version of “Evening Prayer” that encourages the participation of the congregation in hymns and psalms.
The itinerary is as follows:
- Dec. 9, 7 p.m. — Christ Memorial Lutheran Church, St. Louis.
- Dec. 11, 7 p.m. — St. John’s Lutheran Church, Elgin, Ill.
- Dec. 12, 4:30 p.m. — St. James Lutheran Church, Chicago.
- Dec. 13, 8 and 11 a.m. — Gloria Dei Lutheran Church, Chicago.
- Dec. 13, 5 p.m. — Zion Lutheran Church, Mt. Pulaski, Ill.
The Chorus has produced 10 recordings. Its most recent is “Safe in God’s Faithfulness,” which includes two newly commissioned pieces for male voices and viola: John Eggert’s setting of “No Saint on Earth Lives Life to Self Alone” and Jonathan Kohrs’ setting of “Shine in Our Hearts.”
The recordings may be purchased after the presentations or from the Concordia Seminary Bookstore by calling 314-505-7315.
Posted Dec. 9, 2009